This time five years ago I had been a college freshman for a few weeks and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure of myself. I wasn't sure how I would assimilate into that University, especially since I was very much a "people pleaser" - I wanted to get along with everyone, I wanted to do everything, and I wanted to make sure I did all of that without failing out or compromising myself. But although there were times when I got stressed or overwhelmed in school, I never once wanted to rush out of there. I knew that my college years would be the best years of my life, and they have been. So far.
|Me at 17 with my lovely braces on the left, 21 on the right. I miss the burgundy-ish hair. Can't lie.|
And now here I am, 22-years-old with a brother who just started college and siblings not far behind and I can't help but feel like there's a brand spankin' new chapter of my life unfolding. Everyone warns you about how much "the real world" isn't a joke. No one's going to hold your hand - you either sink or you swim. Now I don't want to say that I'm beyond that advice (y'all know I was nervous), but what if you prepped yourself so much for what was going to come that you're not experiencing any culture shock? I wouldn't say I have a full-proof plan, but I'm feeling good about things to come. I've learned (and continue to learn) that I cannot and will not please everyone. . .I just have to do what's right for me. And right now what's right for me is to compare my 17-year-old goals to my 22-year-old ones.
At 17 in 5 years I wanted to:
• Get a new network of non-high school friends by the time I graduated. Check!
• Get a license. Eh. . .not so much. And now basically living in the city hasn't helped with that. But it WILL happen!
• Meet someone I love spending time with, can be myself with, and won't make me want to attempt homicide. Check!
• Study abroad. This hasn't happened yet but I can go abroad without "studying" there.
• Graduate college with honors. Check! Ideally, I was supposed to graduate into a job. Let's give this a half-check.
And now, at 22 in 5 years (hellooooo, 27) I want to:
• Visit Europe at least once.
• Finally have my tattoo *cough*andthatlicense*cough*.
• Be set in my career, whatever that might be.
• Hopefully about to start a family with a bunch of little CarryMels and Js. I'm not big on kids (no secret), but I feel like I might like my own.
• Be a certified Zumba instructor - everyone laughs at me when I say this but I am so serious. It's something I enjoy doing!
What about you guys? What's one thing you really want to see yourself do in 5 years?
PS - I've been slackin' on my mackin' by not being consistent with my Tell 'em how you feel Tuesdays but I'm going to get that back up and running. I'm also thinking of doing something like a "Featured Follower" every week or so to help cross promote other blogs. Gotta plan that out. Oh! And I want a site button :], but I need help making one, lol.